Our “Very Official (Take-Home) Midterm® Project” for the algorithmic composition class was to write a program that automatically generates videogame music. I hope you enjoy it!
How does it work?
- Define harmonic functions for each section
- Form bass line based on the harmonic functions
- Form melodic skeleton on downbeats based on the bass line
- Flesh out the melodic skeleton with approach notes
- Generate optional counterpoint by considering intended harmony and current notes in the melody and bass line
Listen to some sample outputs: